There comes a time in our adult lives, where children and parents, switch roles. Sometimes the progression is gradual other times, there is a crisis or other event that forces the issue. The best way to ensure that you are honoring your loved one’s wishes is to discuss it with them.
Ideally, you should have this discussion before they need care and can articulate their wishes and desires. Key topics for the discussion should include:
Questions to Ask?
1. Do they want to stay at home? Or do you prefer to move into a community?
2. Frank discussion about their assets and their income? Determine what they can realistically afford.
3. Gather information about where their assets are held, which financial advisors, banks and brokerage firms hold their assets
4. Locate important legal and financial documents such as: Wills and Trusts, Power of Attorney, Life Insurance Policies, Long Term Care Insurance Policies, Military Discharge papers.
5. Determine if you additional if VA or Medicaid planning may be helpful.
For more information and assistance with preparing or having this discussion, call Alliance Senior Care.
Their Geriatric Care Managers can you help walk through the process. (248) 274-2170.
The best way to prevent a crisis is to plan for the future by looking for any major behavioral or functional changes that may arise such as:
• An accumulation of diagnoses (more than two).
• Falls or repeated hospitalizations.
• Short-term memory problems.
• Periods of confusion or disorientation.
• Calls from your parent’s friends/neighbors expressing concern.
• More frequent requests for help or support.
• Weight loss over the past year.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering Home Care in Bloomfield Hills, MI, please contact the caring staff at Alliance Senior Care today. Call (248) 274-2170.
Alliance Senior Care provides all the services that a senior would need to remain in their own home, housekeeping, meal preparation, companionship, bathing, dressing, shopping, errands and transportation to activities, as well as care coordination and Geriatric Care Management Services. Alliance Senior Care has expertise in providing dementia care, Alzheimer's care, hospice care, identifying alternative financing solutions and care coordination. Alliance Senior Care has developed relationships with the largest Long Term Care Insurance companies in the industry including; John Hancock, Lincoln Financial, Bankers Life, CNA and others. Dina has a BBA from the University of Michigan and an MBA from Indiana University. She left her career in corporate Finance to start Alliance Senior Care with her husband, Brian. Dina has also had the very personal experience of caring for her own family members. She is an active member of the Aging Life Care Association.
Latest posts by Dina Zubi Hurnevich (see all)
- Six Things Family Caregivers Wish They Could Change - September 17, 2019
- Integrated Wellness Program Promotes Overall Health - September 13, 2019
- Hurry Don’t Miss It! ~ A Complimentary Continuing Education Presentation, September 12, 2019 - September 6, 2019