Dealing with people with Dementia or Alzheimer’s can be frustrating, especially if you don’t know the right techniques. It is important to understand not only their cognitive changes but also their visual perceptions.
Here are 10 tips to help you successfully interact with people with Dementia or Alzheimer’s.
1. Smile and Reassure Them, look them in the eye
2. Ask the “Will you Help Me…?”
3. Never use the phrase “Can you…?”
4. Don’t do for them, what they can do for themselves
5. Use tactile cues, instead of verbal cues
6. Give only one-step directions at a time
7. Stand Directly in Front of them when speaking to them
8. Give them 2 choices
9. Slow Down, give them a chance to process and react to your request
10. If they are agitated, give them a cloth or blanket to comfort themselves